Tuesday, February 3, 2009

T Minus One Week

For the next 10 months I’ll be living in Swaziland, trying to complete a research project of which I have only a vague outline and attempting to justify giving up my sweet life in San Francisco surrounded by friends, public transportation and a constant supply of electricity.

Swaziland is a small kingdom about the size of New Jersey found in southern Africa. Although it has never been a part of South Africa, it is almost completely surrounded by the county, with a small border with Mozambique as well. The CIA World Factbook tells us that Swaziland’s main exports are “soft drink concentrates, sugar, wood pulp, cotton yarn, refrigerators, citrus and canned fruit,” but a more thorough search may tell you that the export that generates the most income, is marijuana.

Swaziland has been independent (from Britain) for 40 years, is ruled by a King, and has a dual justice system of courts and traditional justice systems. It is the latter that the United States Department of State deemed worthy for me to study for the next 10 months at their expense.

With a week to go, I have yet to secure a letter of affiliation from the University of Swaziland, on which my entire grant hinges. I have yet to ship my research materials to Swaziland, and I have yet to consider packing. I have, however, acquired a fashionable pair of tie-dyed sneakers, so at least I’ll arrive in Swaziland in style, if unprepared.

2 comments:

  1. update... how do the sneakers like the dust of africa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Auntie Karen is very proud of you. I'm looking forward to hearing more. By the way, I wore tie-dyed the first time around...even made my own. :) Ahhh...timeless tie-dyed...

    ReplyDelete